Round Up Your Rocks!
Once again it's time to "Round Up Your Rock" for the annual Round Rock contest co-sponsored by the Gig Harbor Chamber of Commerce and the Harbor History Museum. Winners are announced during the first weekend in June during the Chamber's Maritime Gig Festival.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the five rocks or stones judged the most perfectly rounded rocks. First Prize = $100, Second Prize = $50, Third Prize= $25, Fourth Prize = $15, Fifth Prize = $10.
**contestants must follow these rules and regulations**
- Download the Round Rock Contest Application
- Rocks must be submitted to the Harbor History Museum by Friday April 17, 2017. (Please note the museum is closed Mon & Tues through April 12 for winter hours)
- All rocks or stones must be no larger than 6 inches in diameter at the widest point. The smallest rock or stone that can be entered must not be less than 1½ inches in diameter at its narrowest point.
- Rocks or stones are judged by their spherical measurement, as of a perfect sphere. In case of a tie where two or more stones are the same ratio in measurements, the texture and quality together with smooth surface will be the deciding factors. Where everything is equal between two rocks, the largest rock has preference.
- All rocks and stones must have their natural surface and must not be scratched, mutilated, or shaped in any way.
- All rocks or stones to qualify must be of such hardness that they cannot be scratched with the ordinary pocket knife.
- All rocks or stones to qualify must have been found in Washington State.
- Each person entering the contest is limited to one entry.
- One winner allowed per household (Top rock of household will win)